The “advantage” of skunks is that they are easily recognizable: black with white stripes. To understand if there are any in your garden, then, either you see them walking around or you can notice footprints, easily confused with those of the raccoon if not for the fifth finger that is not very pronounced. However, there is an unmistakable method to understand if you have skunk problems: their smell. If you have skunk problems in Oakville, Ontario, you can call our professional wildlife removal company in Oakville. However, if your garden is infested with these animals, there are also some methods you can use to get rid of them.
There are several methods and repellents to keep skunks away from surrounding of your house:
- DIY methods: There are different combinations of substances and smells that can keep skunks away, since, paradoxically, they hate strong smells. A first combination is that of castor oil and dishwashing detergent diluted in water, with which you can spray the areas around your home. Another method is ammonia, you can dilute it with water and soak the rags with the solution. This smell also keeps them away. A natural and easily usable repellent, however, is the smell of citrus fruits. You can spread skins around the garden or near the doors of the house.
- Predator urine: spraying the urine of predatory animals such as dogs or coyotes can easily keep skunks away, which will avoid the area to avoid hypothetical predators. There are several on the market that you can easily get.
- Motion-Sensor Device: You can connect motion sensors with noisy signals that scare the skunks or with light, one of the best repellents. Skunks, in fact, are nocturnal animals and are very sensitive to light. Sudden lighting caused by motion sensors will definitely keep them away.
Then, there are methods by which you can prevent skunks from going around your home:
- Avoid finding food: Do not leave the trash within their reach, seal the trash cans; collect berries, fruit and nuts from the ground; take good care of the lawn, just in case, so as to eliminate the insects that love to eat etc.
- Seal their favorite areas: to prevent them from nesting under your deck, your shed or other similar areas, just seal them. In this way, after the first laps, the skunks will go away on their own.
- Use a fence: skunks can’t climb, they’re not very good. As a result, installing a fence could easily keep them away. However, skunks can dig. Consequently, the fence will have to be very deep to prevent them from passing under it.
If none of these methods work, the only way to keep them away is to call our professional wildlife removal company so they can catch and free them away from your home. In this case, however, there is always a risk of them coming back, so enhance prevention methods such as fence, lack of food etc.